As the holidays are approaching, it’s time to start thinking about holiday shopping. I know what you are thinking. It’s not even Thanksgiving and we are talking about holiday shopping?! Ugh. All of the ‘experts’ in retail sales are recommending shopping early this year due to the continuing supply chain issues many of us are facing.
Many people, especially those of us with migraine or other chronic illnesses find holiday shopping overwhelming and stressful. And that’s without having issues with finding gifts or getting them delivered on time. We have assembled some options for the person with migraine on your gift list (or perhaps yourself)!
Here is an easy guide full of our favorite migraine relief gifts that would make the perfect gifts for people with migraine. If you or your loved one has migraine, we hope that this list of top 10 gift ideas will make your shopping experience easier!
1. Allay Lamp
The Allay Lamp and the Allay Desk Light are two of the most exciting products we use to manage migraine. Either one is a great gift for people with migraine.
The Lamp and Desk Light both offer narrow band green light therapy to reduce light sensitivity. They not only reduce the overall migraine symptoms during attacks, they help to reduce the frequency of attacks!! Read about how this new therapy works in our blogs about light sensitivity and vestibular migraine and our blog that compares the Allay Lamp and The Allay Desk Light.
This is a wonderful way to help someone with migraine that does not involve a prescription, medication or co-pay.
The Migraine Strong writers feel so strongly about how helpful this migraine relief gift is that we have bought it for several friends and family.
(To receive 10% off of the Allay Lamp use this link!!)
2. Migraine glasses
To continue with our light sensitivity theme…Is light sensitivity with migraine an issue for you or a friend or family member? Then you know how painful it can be to spend any time in stores or offices with fluorescent lights. And that’s not even including the time spent on computers and devices! We love our migraine glasses!
- Migraine Shields – can help reduce migraine symptoms and prevent attacks. They also specifically block blue light at 455nm where it is especially harmful which is why they help with screens: computers, phones, tablets, TV, etc. You can purchase Migraine Shields HERE. (20% off with code MIGRAINESTRONG!)
- Avulux – Independent studies have shown that by precisely filtering light, Avulux Migraine & Light Sensitivity lenses can help people living with migraine. These lenses filter blue, amber and red light while allowing soothing green light through. ($25 off with code migrainestrong!)
- Theraspecs – therapeutic blue light glasses that filter out the harmful light that triggers migraines, headaches, eyestrain, and other conditions such as post concussion.
- Axon Optics – 85% of Axon Optics customers report our glasses reduce their symptoms of light sensitivity, including migraine attacks.
3. Migraine care package options
Perfect for any occasion, these gifts make a thoughtful and meaningful present. Migraine care packages customized to their specific needs is a sure way to make someone happy.
To make it easier, we have compiled a list of some of the best gifts for people with migraine that they would love to receive. These migraine relief gifts are what we reach for when an attack starts.
- Forces of Nature Migraine Rollerball (20% off with code: NATUREMS19)
- Forces of Nature “Sleep Well” Rollerball (20% off with code: NATUREMS19)
- Migraine Stick by Migrastil (10% off, follow link)
- Migrastil Soothing Neck and Shoulder Cream (10% off, follow link)
- Migrastil Migraine Nausea Inhaler (10% off, follow link)
- Face Jade Roller
- The Wand by PureWine (15% off with code migrainestrong)
- Angel Mints peppermints
- The Headache Hat
- Chimes Ginger chews
- Ear plugs
- Super soft silk Sleep mask
- Ice globe face massage to ease allodynia
- Aculief Wearable Acupressure nausea relief
- Salt lamp
- Hydrate in style with a glass Motivational Water Bottle
- Never forget your medication with Pillbox keychain
- Magnesium Glycinate by Pure Encapsulations – purchase at discount in Migraine Strong supplement dispensary.
- An offer to watch the kids or pets while they rest is also much appreciated!!
- Uber Eats gift card to use on days when preparing food is just too much.
- Nodpod Weighted Sleep Mask – Nodpod’s strap free design equally distributes the power of deep-touch pressure across key pressure points to help calm overactive minds, soothe headaches and help you sink into deep restful sleep.
- Nodpod Weighted Pod For Your Bod – All the benefits of a weighted blanket in a pod! Nodpod BODY’s unique design allows for a cooler body contouring experience. All the benefits of a full size weighted blanket in a portable, machine washable pod.
Crafts and hobbies
Crafting and hobbies can be a powerful distraction from the pain and discomfort of migraine. We have compiled a list of some of our favorites.
- Butterfly puzzle
- Paint by numbers kit for adults
- Adult Coloring Book – Anxiety relieving
- Crayola Colored Pencils
- Diamond Painting Kit
- Needle Felting Kit
- Self Care Cards
- Fit Simplify Resistance Loop Bands
For more ideas, check out our Favorites page for our entire list of items that make thoughtful migraine relief gifts.
Harry and David gifts
If you have ever had a box of Harry and David pears or apples, you know how amazing they are. They are also generally well tolerated by people with migraine so it makes a great gift. We look forward to getting boxes of fruit every year!
Jeni’s Ice Cream
Have you ever had Jeni’s Ice Cream? They have some of the best and most unique flavors in the ice cream game. Some of my favorites are Skillet Cinnamon Roll, Brambleberry Crisp and Salty Caramel. They also ship nationwide! Pick some favorites, or flavors that sound interesting, and send some to your family and friends!
4. Audible and Kindle subscription
Reading books is a great distraction when in pain. But many of us have trouble focusing on the written word during a migraine attack. A subscription to Audible would make a great gift for someone whose migraine symptoms or busy lifestyle prevent them from sitting down and reading a physical book. Instead, audio books can be downloaded from Audible.com. Audible offers 30 days of membership free to get you started. Then you can decide if you wish to cancel, purchase a monthly subscription or pay for individual audio books.
Adding an Amazon Echo Dot Speaker makes listening to books on audible hands free.
Similarly you can get audio books through Kindle Unlimited. There is also a 30 day trial! However, with Kindle Unlimited you can read e-books which is an extra bonus. If you or your loved one prefers reading e-books, Kindle Paperwhite is one of the better e-readers for those of us with migraine. It does not emit blue light, so it does not affect migraine or interfere with sleep.
Here is a blog with additional tips to make the reading experience with a chronic illness a pleasant one!
Wireless listening device
Oladance Open Ear Headphones – Listening to audiobooks, music, podcasts or even meditation apps through earbuds is the preferred method for most of us. If you have trouble with the earbuds that fit inside your ear canals, these are the headphones for you. They fit over the upper ear and in front of the opening to the ear canal.
While they don’t offer noise cancellation, I have used them on airplanes, while exercising and in noisy environments. They are wonderfully comfortable and easy to use and come in 4 different colors (I opted for the orange!). They have all of the other ‘tap’ features that are found on most wireless earbuds. If you travel frequently and want to be able to charge the Open Ear Headphones on the go, they offer a separate charging case for an additional cost. I purchased both and have been very happy to have an easy way to charge when I’m on the go.
5. Hot and cold soothing products
Nearly every migraine relief package will include a comfy item that delivers either hot or cold.
The Huggaroo brand has beautifully made products that we have fallen in love with. These products are a surefire way how to help someone with migraine. Here are only a few of our favorite migraine relief gifts, but you can find a lot more on their website. Products are available in scented and unscented.
- Huggaroo Microwaveable Neck Wrap – this can serve as a microwavable heating pad or a cold compress.
- Huggaroo Migraine Hat – this is a microwaveable hat which is mainly used for hot therapy. It’s made of ultra plush minky fabric and filled with clay beads, flaxseeds, and 100% natural dried herbs (lavender, peppermint, chamomile, and lemongrass).
- Huggaroo Ice Head Wrap – this wrap is used for cold therapy only. If ice provides relief during a migraine attack, this is a product for you. The hat contains 9 gel ice packs which provide long-lasting cooling action and remain flexible even when frozen. The hat is made from soft and plush fabric.
- Huggaroo Eye Mask– This is a soothing warm or cold compress for the eyes. It’s super soft, a little weighted and the removable gel insert can be frozen for comforting relief.
(Save 10% off with code MigraineStrong)
- Koldtec Ice HALO– Targeted cold therapy for migraine is hard not to love. The material is thin, soft and stretchy. It’s super lightweight to wear. The engineered ice inserts are soft and comfortable even to lay down on. The ice inserts start as powder that you soak and then freeze so you’re also in control of the thickness of the ice. It’s sleep approved and can slide down over your eyes. It’s also glasses friendly with a very low profile velcro closure for an adjustable fit. It includes many ice inserts and inside pockets so you can adjust “the coldness” based on your personal preference. And you can switch packets out if it gets too warm. Get $10 off with code MIGRAINESTRONG10.
- Koldtec Ice towel– This towel is SO lovely. If you are sensitive to the heat it’s a must have. It also includes engineered ice inserts that start as powder. You soak (the longer you soak the thicker they get) and freeze them. Then insert them into a pocket that wraps the back of your neck keeping you cool on even the hottest days. It comes with extra packs you can keep in your freezer and switch out when it becomes too warm. Get $10 off with code MIGRAINESTRONG10.
- Headache Hattie – This is a new wearable ice hat! It uses the same engineered ice as the above items and the velcro can be used to tighten the Hattie as much or as little as possible. It can also be pulled down over the eyes to block light and is comfortable to nap in. Get $10 off with code MIGRAINESTRONG10.
The ReLeaf pack is weighted cold therapy. It’s an eco friendly vegan product, made with locally sourced, all-natural dried bean-blend filler and does not contain chemicals or gels. This flexible cold pack comes in two sizes and in a variety of fun fabrics to choose from. It’s high on the list of best gifts for migraine suffers.
(Get 20% off with code Migrainestrong.)
Neck and shoulder massage
Resteck Massagers for Neck and Back with Heat – Deep Tissue 3D Kneading also comes with a travel case. I bought my daughter one of these last year and it is wonderful for when my neck is super tight before, during or after an attack. The heated massagers are very relaxing.
Massage Envy – A Massage Envy gift card is perfect for just about every body on your list. They can choose from massage, skin care, or assisted stretch – whatever ME time means to them.
6. Natural wellness products
Migrastil is a line of products created by migraine sufferers for migraine sufferers. Their goal is to help you be stronger than your migraine attacks. We love these products and are excited to tell you about them!!
- Migraine Stick by Migrastil – This bottle contains cooling relief in the form of peppermint and lavender in fractionated coconut oil.
- Migrastil Soothing Neck and Shoulder Cream – This cream is made with deep penetrating plant extracts to gently soothe neck and shoulder pain and tension. It is a non-greasy, moisturizing formula which has a very light, pleasing ginger mint scent. This feels wonderful on neck pain and shoulder tension that can accompany a migraine attack.
- Migrastil Migraine Nausea Inhaler – This aromatherapy inhaler works for nausea from multiple causes, but is specially formulated to be gentle for migraine sufferers who may be sensitive to strong odors. It is really convenient and helpful for my migraine nausea.
- Migrastil Travel Kit – If you would like to try several of the Migrastil products at one time, check out their handy travel kit. This kit contains the Migraine Stick, Soothing Neck and Shoulder Cream, Migraine Nausea Inhaler, Anti-dehydration Electrolyte Drops, Eye Mask and Ear Plugs.
(Get 15% off any product with this LINK and code MigraineStong)
Peace Love Rally
The most delightful topical magnesium roller balls with or without essential oils. These magnesium rollers help to ease muscle pain and inflammation. They are also very calming to use during an attack. We recommend the Intro Bundle so that you can try all three types!
(Save 10% with this LINK and promo code MIGRAINESTRONG)
Organic ginger juice from The Ginger People is a wonderful way to use ginger in drinks, recipes, teas etc. One of our Migraine Strong team members can’t stop talking about these ginger shots. We love ginger for treating migraine attacks. The ginger candies are also very portable and can be enjoyed on the go. Our favorite is the Spicy Apple! And these chewable ginger tablets drops are helpful in relieving nausea that tags along with migraine attacks.
One of our favorite tea is Biodynamic Ginger from Republic of Tea. We use this tea at the beginning of a migraine attack to help us feel better and treat symptoms. Read our article on ginger for migraine to get the scoop on how and why that works. To complete this gift consider an electric tea kettle that boils water in a flash and includes automatic shut off rather than the noisy whistle of stovetop kettles.
Forces Of Nature
We have been using the Forces of Nature product line for quite some time. When the symptoms of migraine start creeping up my neck, I immediately reach for the Migraine Rollerball or Back Pain Rollerball applicator and use it on my neck and temples. I even have my daughter using it with great success as well. The light fresh scent is very discreet and can easily be used at work or school. Check out the entire product line. You won’t be disappointed!!
(Get 15% off with code NatureMS19)
Ruhe makes natural and cruelty-free migraine and headache relief products. What’s unique about this line is that the products cater to different phases of migraine and headache – the onset, during an attack, and the aftermath. These products all have a refreshing smell that’s effective without being overwhelming.
Ruhe’s lineup includes the below products, in addition to a variety of kits that can be found on their website:
- Cooling Blue Bliss Jelly Mask, which works well both during the onset and following an attack thanks to its refreshing essential oil blend and realigning willow bark extract.
- Soothing Minty Mellow Balm with magnesium oil and a soft peppermint aroma that can be used both before an anticipated attack and during.
- Refreshing Roller Rescue Oil Blend roller ball, which is incredibly versatile for any migraine or headache phase. It has a very fresh aroma that’s also great for combating nausea and fatigue.
- Uplifting Magic Mist Shower Steamers that break up migraine and headache tension by transforming your shower into a mint and eucalyptus oasis. These work especially well during an attack as well as afterward to ease any lingering symptoms.
- Invigorating Comfort Cloud Diffuser Blend, which helps to bring a sense of calm to your environment during or following an attack. This uplifting yet soothing essential oil blend helps an achy head while also fighting nausea and refreshing your senses.
- Tranquil Relief Rhapsody Soy Candle, which fills your space with a soothing peppermint and rosemary aroma with a calming, soft light. This clean-burning soy candle is a great way to unwind and decompress following an attack.
(Use code MIGRAINESTRONG20 for 20% off)
7. Professional migraine services
Having your own personal team is important for managing migraine. A headache specialist, support group and specialized exercise and migraine coaching can all be resources for helping us manage migraine. For many, this would be the ultimate migraine care package!
Online headache specialist
Access to a headache specialist or a doctor trained specifically to treat headache disorders can be hard to find. Several states have no headache specialists and others have only one. You can now have access to a board certified headache specialist or neurologist (trained in headache protocol) from the comfort of your home (via video).
This new service, called Neura Health, is an effort to provide patients with chronic headache and migraine access to quality care, without having to travel long distances or wait months for an appointment. Read our Neura Health review for more information.
Use code MIGRAINESTRONG15 to receive $15 off!
Migraine Strong offers personalized migraine coaching with Danielle Aberman, RD and Eileen Zollinger. Specialized food sensitivity testing (MRT Mediator Release Testing), LEAP protocol (elimination diet based on MRT results) and/or individualized coaching in migraine management can help you reduce the severity and frequency of your migraine attacks. Reach out to us at [email protected] to talk with us about your goals. (10% off when purchased in 2022 and scheduled by February 2023!)
8. The gift of books & migraine education
The Migraine Relief Plan Cookbook: More Than 100 Anti-Inflammatory Recipes for Managing Headaches and Living a Healthier Life – The 100 delicious, plan-friendly recipes of The Migraine Relief Plan Cookbook include foods for every meal of the day, plus snacks, drinks, sauces, and condiments, as well as serving suggestions and a chapter on preparing healthy, wholesome meals from leftovers.
The End Of Migraines: 150 Ways to Stop Your Pain is a new book by headache specialist Dr. Alexander Mauskop. There are so many great suggestions in this book and we can’t recommend it enough.
Managing Your Migraine is a new book by headache specialist, Dr. Katy Munro. She offers so many practical solutions to managing migraine. Get this book right now (on Kindle) and start managing your migraine. This could be THE best gift for migraine suffers especially is they have been dealing with migraine for a long time.
A Pass to The Migraine World Summit– could honestly be life changing for anyone who suffers from migraine. When joining the migraine world summit you’ll have access to the world-leading migraine experts, doctors and specialists where you’ll learn what they do to treat migraine disease.
9. App subscription
Meditation or mindfulness apps
Meditation can be an effective tool when dealing with migraine. We often recommend Calm to the members in our Migraine Strong Facebook group. It’s an app for sleep, meditation, focus and relaxation. You can even fall asleep to a bedtime story, some of them read by well known artists. Additional popular guided meditation subscriptions are Insight Timer, Headspace and Breethe. And if you are looking for a migraine tracker, check out Migraine Buddy.
Curable helps you understand why you have pain, why it persists, and guides you through science-backed strategies to help you heal. We have received a lot of great feedback on this app and how it has helped many people with chronic migraine learn how to manage their pain. They frequently offer deals as well. Check out this app and add it to your migraine toolkit.
10. Household options
- Pillows – Finding the perfect pillow can be tough, but we have many recommended by the migraine community members. Read this blog on the best pillow for migraine to help you decide which one to try.
- Bissell Power Fresh Steam Mop – This mop will clean the floors without the use of heavy, smelly chemicals which can often be a migraine trigger.
- Shark HE601 Air Purifier – We love the Shark Air Purifier! Every member of the Migraine Strong team has one of these in our homes. It is remarkably quiet, clean and an incredibly fast clean air delivery rate. The Clean Sense IQ tracks air quality and auto-adjusts power to constantly maintain clean air in your home. The easy-to-use control panel displays data in real time. Wonderful for allergies and for people with pets.
- Seventh Generation All Purpose Cleaner, Biodegradable Formula – This cleanser does not contain any harsh cleanser smell.
- Squeak All Perp Essential Oil All Purpose Cleaner – Jennifer Bragdon loves this cleanser and she says it smells like a migraine stick!
- Bodum Java French Press Coffee Maker – Brewing a wonderful water processed decaf in this coffee maker really brings out the flavor! I also use mine to brew loose tea from Global Teas LLC. Check out the ChocolaTea for a real treat! I love it with a little sweetener and a bit of cream.(Save 10% with code MigraineStrong10)
Bonus! Support Migraine Strong Members!!
Migraine Strong is a community of people who have pulled together over the past 4 years to support each other and help lift each other up. In keeping with that tradition, we’d like to mention a couple of small businesses owned and operated by Migraine Strong members. Supporting them is supporting one of our own! And their products are perfect gifts for others with migraine as well!!
Studio Ilana Creations
Ilana Radin Segall is a long time member of Migraine Strong. She has some lovely creations in her Etsy shop. Explore her custom bedding, art, clothing and mugs and other decor. It is soothing and beautiful!
Custom Creations Boutique is owned by long time member of Migraine Strong, Lauren Granato. This is a custom design shop that works hard to create unique, high-quality event stationery for you! They design everything from save-the-dates to wedding invitations and place cards. They also design for baby showers, graduations, special birthdays, thank-you notes, and more! Check out their website for options and see their beautiful work.
Water processed decaf coffee
The most recommended type of decaf is Water-Processed coffee. It is highly regulated to be 99.9% caffeine free.
Farm House Coffee Roasters has a great selection of water-processed decaf coffee and it is delicious! It is owned by Migraine Strong’s very own, Andrew Newell. Farm House Coffee Roasters is a certified organic micro-roastery located in Winterport, Maine. My personal favorite decaf is the Ethiopian decaf. LOVE it!! (To receive 15% off your purchase, enter code: #migrainestrong.)
And don’t forget to grab a coffee mug or this awesome Yeti Rambler or iced coffee pitcher to give together as a complete gift or to add to a migraine care package.
Hand Crafted CBD Products
Primal Botanical is owned by a long time Migraine Strong group member, Annika McCann, who lives in Vermont and suffers from migraine herself. She is a Registered Nurse and clinical herbalist who handcrafts these certified organic CBD products.
Not sure about gift ideas for someone with migraine? The Head and Neck CBD Rub is particularly lovely and I love the UPLIFT – CBD Mineral Soak and Lavender. (To receive 10% off your purchase enter code: STRONG10.)
Gift Ideas Not To Give People With Migraine
If you are shopping for a gift for someone with migraine keep in mind that some things can actually trigger an attack. Although triggers are individual, it is better to avoid the following:
- Products with scents and fragrances such as perfume, candles, and scented lotions;
- Tickets to events which could cause sound or light sensitivities;
- Products that create flashing lights and noise
We hope that this holiday season will allow you and your loved ones to spend quality time and enjoy each other. Although gifts are part of a long time tradition, nothing says “I care about you” like a phone call or a random act of kindness. We also hope that these gift ideas will make the shopping process easier for you when you are shopping for someone with migraine.
Updated from 11/4/2021
7 thoughts on “Top 10 Gift Ideas For People With Migraine”
After the free week and the free mini class how much is the Vestibular Migraine Exercise Program?
I have Vestibular Migraines and have not been successful in continuing my Vestibular Exercises at home alone.
Hi. Exercises at home without support can be a challenge. We do not know the details of Dr. Oak’s program and suggest you contact her directly. I hope you find consistent relief very soon.
Earplugs; Hot, black coffee; Green lensed sunglasses; Natural vs. artificial light, especially florescent.
This post has a lot of valuable information for headache sufferers. Exceptionally important points for pertinent tension. I advise everyone to go to their website!
I would love if you all could review earplugs! I would like to go see some live music (on a good day 🙂 so I was looking for earplugs which don’t muffle the sound but just bring down the loudness… Thanks for this article!! Lots of great stuff.
Hi Kay! I use a couple of different ones. I talk about it in this article on going to concerts. There are a couple options in here that work really well. -eileen How to Manage Light and Sound Sensitivity With Migraine: Part 2 – Concerts
Wow, so many great ideas here! You have some stuff here that I’ve never heard of before. Perfect for my son’s migraines … and mine, too!
Book By Book